Position: Design and Construction Assistant Project Manager for On Street Trails
Department: NWA Trailblazers Design and Construction
Location: Bentonville, AR
Reports To: Executive Director
Job Classification: Full Time
Date Posted: 23-Oct-2018
Share: Tell A Friend
Posting Expires: 23-Nov-2018
The NWA Trailblazer is seeking a skilled, highly motivated and entrepreneurial individual to join us as a Design and Construction Assistant Project Manager for On-Street Trail initiatives.
You will help develop and implement a world-class multi-use and on-street trail design, manage construction and facilitate maintenance projects. You will work to integrate multi-use paved and on-street trail connections to enhance the bike-ability and walkability of NWA as a place to live, work and visit.
Specific duties include the following:
• Coordinate overall multi-use and on-street trail design, communication and construction of projects with property owners, cities, engineers, volunteers, and key stakeholders
• Conduct regular communications with the project team and make regular follow-up site visits as needed to ensure that the project is progressing according to the approved project plans
• Promote the development of regional trails as a sustainable multi-use paved and on-street facilities as a multi-modal form of transportation
• Monitor existing trails, proposed trail sites, and active trail construction project sites to ensure compliance with trail industry standards
• Work closely with the Executive Director/City of Rogers to develop new trails and on-street facilities, as well as monitor existing facilities as strategic planning for the region
• Assist in the submission of grant requests
• Provide engineering thought leadership with designs for conceptual trail routing opportunities
• Assist with easement and property acquisitions
• Efficiently lead volunteer workforce
• Manage project budgets, commitments, invoices, change orders and payment applications for approval
• Preparation, distribution, and presentation of a series of documents to track and report progress against the Project Budget and Schedule as well as and scope changes.
• Ensure that construction and design stays true to the approved scope of work stays within the requirements of the approved project budget and that the project stays within the approved overall project timelines
• Close-out all construction activity including final payment to the contractors
• Collaborate with other trail programs, attend regional and statewide trail meetings and training
You must have an understanding of and a creative approach to connecting people with the land in ways that develop a conservation ethic, including Leave No Trace ethics, trail etiquette and address public access issues. We’d love it if you have a strong background in trail development including an understanding of current trail building practices, in particular, sustainable trail design for multiple user types.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Landscape Architecture, Architecture, Construction Management, Civil Engineering or related field.
• At least 5 years of project management experience in outdoor recreation design and construction
• Knowledgeable in MUTCD, AASHTO, & NACTO
• Excellent written communication skills and experience in producing both brief and longer written products in a timely fashion for internal and external audiences
• Excellent oral communication skills, with experience in public speaking and so as to convey complex issues to internal and external audiences.
• Knowledge of economic, financial and accounting principles (e.g., experience navigating financial statements, an organization’s budget); familiarity reading legal documents and blueprints
• Possess map-reading and mapping abilities, including GPS and GIS.
• Ability to work in a labor intensive environment under adverse conditions
• Ability to lift over 50 pounds
• Passion for and proficient at bike riding
• Knowledge of Northwest Arkansas
• You have the ability to give and receive feedback graciously
• You know how to build effective relationships and networks to achieve results
• You are a self-directed and decisive problem solver who can also be flexible
• You are a superior communicator who treats everyone with respect
• You have proven skills at organization and time management
• You have exceptional attention to detail
• You have the ability to anticipate issues and problems in advance and propose possible solutions
• You possess unquestionable ethics and personal integrity
• You are an effective team member who is also able to act independently
Subject Line: Assistant Project Manager – On Street Trails
The NWA Trailblazers is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization that has been working to develop multi-use and soft surface trails for nearly two decades. The Trailblazers specialize and excel at building quality trails and trail projects in a much quicker time frame than standard by utilizing qualified designers/contractors within their organization. In the past 15 years, the Trailblazers built over 85 miles of paved and soft surface trails, and continue to be the industry leader in trail development.
The NWA Trailblazers is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status of protected veteran, among other things or status as a qualified individual with a disability.